Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Movie Review: Bruno

Okay, I am taking a break from nails today so that I can write a movie review :-)

This past weekend, I went to go see Bruno with my baby brother (well, he's 18, so not much of a baby anymore...) and two of his female friends. I've been seeing the movie previews and Bruno shenanigans for weeks now. I must admit that normally, I am not a big fan of mockumentaries like Bruno. I actually didn't watch Borat until well after it came out on DVD! But, my little brother has been dying to see it, so I went along.

The movie was..... OK. Don't continue reading if you don't want any spoilers, because the movie is hard to discuss without giving away some of the funnier bits.

Bruno is an Austrian television personality who hosts a fashion show. During an interview-gone-wrong, he ends up getting himself blackballed from the Austrian fashion world. Determined to become rich and famous, Bruno decides to move to LA, and his assistant's assistant, Lutz, goes along.

Bruno comes up with a plethora of ideas on how to become rich and famous -- he decides to interview celebrities to pitch a TV show (his interview with Paula Abdul ends up getting him blacklisted in Hollywood), and at the focus group screening of his TV show, we are entertained by his "interview" with Harrison Ford (which consists of Ford screaming "Fuck off!" to Bruno), and a lengthy scene that I can only describe as completely inappropriate for a Rated R movie (and maybe even an NC-17 movie). After his TV pitch becomes a project in massive FAIL, he comes up with a few other ideas to become famous -- make a sex tape with someone famous, start a charity, adopt a foreign baby, become straight, etc. The film follows him on these adventures, but they all predictably end up with the same result.

I'll give Bruno credit where it's due -- it's funny. It is not The Hangover funny, but it's funny. The humor relies more on the physical comedic genius of Sacha Baron Cohen and less on a well-written script and dialogue, which is what I usually prefer. I honestly have no idea how this movie escaped with only an R rating. There were parts of it that made me wince uncomfortably in my chair, and every time I looked over at the barely-legal teenagers sitting next to me, I was horrified at what their parents might think of me for letting their child see a movie like this. But, they were cracking up the whole time, so I guess it wasn't that bad.

It's definitely not something I would watch again in the theaters. I probably won't even own the DVD. But, it's a short movie that flows pretty well given the different situations, and it is pretty mindless, so if that is what you are looking for, go see it.

Overall Rating (out of 5): 2.5

No comments: